Design Tool Instructions
Product Selection | Toolbars and Icons | Design Area |
Background Colors and Patterns | Adding a Solid Shape | Adding Text |
Text Design Menus | Manipulating a Design Element
Adding Clip Art | Design Reminders!
- Select the item you want to customize
- Click “Design It Myself (Self Serve)”
Toolbars and Icons
Across the top of the page, you will see a large toolbar with 4 items.
PRODUCTS takes you back to our Product Pages
DESIGNS opens the Background Color and Designs Menu in the design area
Click UPLOAD IMAGE to upload an image from your computer or mobile device
TEXT allows you to place text on your design
On the left edge of your screen, there is a vertical toolbar with 5 icons. These icons help you navigate the Design Area right beside the toolbar.
From Top to Bottom:
← allows you to access our large collection of clip art
← allows you to access the background color selections
← allows you to access templates
← opens the shapes menu which allows you to place shapes into your design
← allows you to access your gallery of saved designs
Also on the left side of your screen, there is a second toolbar just to the right of the Designs area. From top to bottom:
Undo - undoes the last change you made to your design
Redo - redoes the last move that you undid
Zoom - zooms in and out on your design
Layers - Allows you to change the order of the layers, edit layers or delete layers
Rotate - Allows you to rotate your item
In the bottom left corner of the screen, there are 3 icons.
- Clicking on “Save Design” adds your current design to your gallery.
- Clicking on “My Gallery”, takes you to your gallery of saved designs
- Clicking on “Share” allows you to share your current design via Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, email or many other ways
In the bottom right hand corner,
- The number in blue text is your total cost for the options and quantity of the item you have selected
- Hovering your mouse over the “i” next to the number will show you a detailed breakdown of the cost
- Clicking “Proceed” will allow you to adjust the quantity of the item, make comments on the order and either add the item to the cart or continue your design.
- This menu can be closed by clicking on the small “x” located in the upper left corner of the area containing the item description and options
- Clicking “Save Template” will save the design to the Template Menu that can be accessed from the menu going down the upper left side of the screen.
Also in the bottom right hand corner, just above the “PROCEED” and “SAVE TEMPLATE” icons, there is a row of icons that allow you to manipulate the currently selected design element.
Moves the selected element to the Left
Moves the selected element to the Right
Moves the selected element Up
Moves the selected element Down
Rotate Left turns your design to the left
Rotate Right turns your design to the right
The Expand tool makes your design element larger
The Compress tool makes your design element smaller
Along the right side of the screen, you will see a long column of icons.
The Eye Icon opens a popup window with a preview of your design
The product Info Icon opens a popup window with the item description of the item being customized
Copy lets you copy a design element to the clipboard
Paste lets you place a copied design element in the design area
Forward Swap brings selected layer of the design forward
Backward Swap takes the selected layer of the design backward
Horizontal Align centers the selected design element on the horizontal axis
Vertical Align centers the currently selected design element on the vertical axis
Flip Horizontal flips the design element from left to right
Flip Vertical flips the design element from top to bottom
The Trash Icon removed the selected element from the design
The Brush Icon clears the entire design so that you can start over
In the middle of the right side of your screen, you will see a large picture of the item you have chosen with two smaller pictures above it.
- The small pictures represent the FRONT and BACK of the item. NOTE: Not all products can have a design on front and back. Only items that can be designed on both sides will display both pictures.
- Click on the left picture to design on the FRONT
- Click on the right picture to design on the BACK
- The Large area with the ruler on its left side is where you place your art and create your design for the side of your item that is currently selected.
- The grey dotted line represents the outermost edge of your design. The area inside the grey line MUST be completely filled with a photo or background.
- The red line represents the estimated crop area of your design. Please do not scale your artwork to edge of this line: scale it instead to the edge of the grey line.
- The green dotted line represents the safe zone. All text and clip art must be placed inside this area. Elements of your photo inside this area will not be cropped in the production process.
Background Colors and Patterns
To select a background color:
- Click on the Backgrounds Icon on the left side of your screen or the Designs Icon at the top of your screen.
- Select a color from the available color swatches that appear. Please do not select the “no background” icon in the upper left corner.
To use a background pattern:
- Click on the flower shaped icon on the top left side of the screen
- Under the word “Designs,” click "Background Patterns" on the upper left drop down box.
- Select the background pattern you would like to use.
- Use the tool bar in the lower right hand corner of the screen to move and resize your background to completely fill the area inside the grey dotted line.
Adding a Solid Shape
To add a solid, color filled shape to your design,
- Click on the Shapes Icon in the far left toolbar
- In the Designs area, click on the shape you want to select
When the shape appears on your design,
- You can change its color by clicking on the solid circle that appears to the right of the design area
- You can add a stroke of color around the outside of your shape by clicking on the outlined circle that appears to the right of the design area
Text is best added one line at a time to give you maximum control over sizing and placement.
The more characters you put on a line of text, the smaller the text will be.
Click the “T” icon at the top right side of the page to bring up the Text menu in the Design section at the left of the screen. Enter the text in the box.
You can use the Text Menu in the Design section on the left side of the screen to change the style of Text, the color of the text, add a stroke around text or add effects to your text.
You can expand or contract the text box and move it around on your design using the controls on the text box or in the toolbars on the screen.
The measurements centered above your text tell you how wide and tall the text will be when printed on the blanket.
This tool allows you to move your text box around your layout
This tool allows you to rotate the text on your layout
This tool allows you to change the size of your text while keeping the height and width ratio the same.
The lock allows you to “lock” the text box so that it cannot be changed.
Clicking the trash can deletes the text box from your layout.
The white circles on each side allow you to skew the text making it longer, shorter, wider, or more narrow
**These functions are available in the toolbars at the bottom right and along the right side of the screen***
Click on the background to close the current text box and repeat the steps above for each additional line of text.
Text Design Menus
When you click on the “T” in the top right corner to add Text, the Text Design Menu and Tools open in the Designs Area on the left side of the screen.
The Text ToolBar on the left side of the Designs Area contains the following icons:
Plain Text - adds plain text using the font chosen from the drop down menu and allows text to be aligned to the left, center or right
Curve Text - adds text that is curved into a circular arc; User can specify font, font size and the angle to which the text will be curved; a preview is provided
Text on Path - Adds text along a path using one of the pre-made paths - allows the user to alter the path of the text as well as the font, font size, spacing between letters and the height of the letters above the path
Text FX - Applies predefined effects to be selected and applied to text
Text Art - Allows for text to be larger on the ends or in the middle depending on the options selected for type, alignment, angle and curve; different fonts can be chosen as well
Word Cloud - Turns the text entered into the text box into a word cloud with user options for shape, text colors, angle, step and number of words
Manipulating a Design Element
You will notice a black dotted line with several items on it around the edge of your design element.These items are used to make adjustments to your shape.
The Four Way Arrow icon allows you to move the shape and place it in your design
The white circles on each side allow you to adjust the dimensions of the shape making it longer, shorter, wider, or more narrow
Clicking on the curved arrow and holding down your mouse button allows you to rotate the shape
Clicking on the corner arrow and holding the mouse button allows you to resize your shape while maintaining the original proportions
The Lock Icon brings up the lock menu which allows you to prevent certain changes from being made to the shape
The Trash Can icon deletes the shape from the design
**These functions are all available in the toolbars at the bottom right and along the right side of the screen***
Adding Clip Art
Click on the Flower Icon at the top of the page to bring up the Designs Menu Area on the left side of the screen
Now, click on the Small Flower Icon on the left edge of the screen
The DESIGNS menu will appear on the left side of the screen.
Use the search area to search clip art by keyword or use drop down menus to select a category and subcategory .
To see all of the images, you may need to scroll down in the display area or click on at the bottom of the page.
Select the image you would like to add by clicking on the image.
Use the controls and toolbar items to move and manipulate the clip art .
Some clipart allows you to change the colors in the image. You will see circles appear on the right side of the Design Menu area under the toolbar. Click on a circle and select a new color to personalize your clipart selection
For example, lets look at the headphones chosen below:
Click on one of the circles to choose a new color for that part of the design. The design shown has 4 colors that can be changed.
Click on the background to deselect the current piece of clipart and follow the steps again to place another piece of clipart if desired.
The green dotted line defines the SAFE ZONE. Design elements inside the safe zone will not be cropped in the final product.
Your shapes, text, and clip art must fall inside the area defined by the green dotted line.
The grey dotted line represents the edge of the blanket. This area must be filled either with a photo, background color or background pattern.